The World Food Program (WFP) said on Tuesday it had paused general food distribution in north Yemen (under Houthi controlled-areas) due to limited funding and disagreement with local authorities over how to focus on the poorest there.
The WFP said the decision was taken in consultation with donors and comes after a year of negotiations and no agreement had been reached to reduce the number of people served to 6.5 million from 9.5 million.
Food stocks in the areas under the Houthi administration are almost depleted and resuming food assistance could take up to four months due to disruption of the supply chain, the U.N. agency said in a statement.
The agency said it would continue other programs, including nutrition and school feeding programs to limit the impact of the decision.
General food distribution would continue with a focus on the neediest in the areas controlled by the Saudi-backed government, it said.